If you haven’t made sushi before PLEASE read on and don’t be put off! It really is simple, in fact Freddie has even helped out, and once you get the hang of it a healthy and refreshing alternative to sandwiches. My lovely friend Linda in Wellington taught me a while back and we now have it most weeks. It is perfect for lunchboxes (for children and adults) and is also great for lunch at home. Lottie loves it and this baby version means it is really easy for her to pick it up and pop it into her mouth without too much mess. I love sushi and somehow it always feels like a bit of a treat to eat it. If you are making it for lunchboxes you can create it the night before and it will still taste good the next day.
I’ve discovered some great Asian supermarkets near us. You can get everything you need for making sushi in bulk and much cheaper than in the supermarket. If you’re planning on making sushi for adults as well as children I would definitely recommend investing in some pickled ginger, good quality soy sauce and wasabi paste. Freddie’s Daddy takes sushi to work for his lunch boxed up just like it came from a sushi shop with all the accompaniments.
Baby sushi came about because Freddie informed me that although he liked the rice and filling he really wasn’t all that fond of the ‘green stuff’ aka nori sheets. So I decided to adapt the way I make sushi and now he gobbles it down.
To make sushi you will need the following to hand:
- bamboo sushi mat (you can get these in the supermarket if you don’t have an Asian supermarket near where you live).
- damp tea towel
- serrated knife
- chopping board
- nori sheets (Japanese seaweed)
- sushi rice made in advance
- fillings of choice
Ingredients for 2 toddlers
2 sheets of nori sheets cut in half
1 cup cooked sushi rice (approximately 1/3 cup dried sushi rice)
3 tbsps rice vinegar or sushi seasoning
Possible fillings: tuna mayonnaise, smoked salmon, avocado, cucumber, left over roast chicken, prawns.
Prepare you sushi rice in advance as it needs time to cool.
- Rinse 1/3 cup rice under cold water and place in a saucepan
- Add 3/4 cup cold water and bring to boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and leave to stand for 5 minutes with the lid still on the saucepan.
- Turn out from the saucepan into a bowl, add the rice vinegar and stir through with a wooden or plastic spoon.
INSTRUCTION FOR ROLLING BABY SUSHI
- Place your bamboo sushi mat on a damp tea towel.
- Cut a sheet of nori in half and lay on the sushi mat*
- Place about 1/4 cup of rice on the nori sheet and spread out with damp fingers or a wooden spoon
- Along the top of your nori sheet make a row of your chosen filling
- Gently roll using the bamboo mat, tucking the filling in with your thumbs as you roll.
- Continue to roll until you create a sushi roll.
- Move onto a chopping board and slice using a damp serrated knife.
* If you want to make sushi for adults don’t cut the nori sheet in half before spreading with rice (I use about 1/2 – 3/4 cup per sheet) and just add more filling. Then follow all the other steps.